Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Overwhelmed

These past couple of years have at times left me feeling overwhelmed. Our world changed overnight with the arrival of a new virus, and it brought chaos along for the ride. Social media, television, newspapers, highway road signs--literally everything we set our eyes upon--had COVID smeared all over it. Directives to do this, then that, then something else, left people confused, angry, and divided. Information changed daily, statistics reported questionably, fear controlled many, and there seemed to be no escape. I couldn't even go to the store without the reminder of it staring at me from a masked face. It was overwhelming.

Dictionary.com defines "overwhelm" this way: 
"to load, heap, treat, or address with an overpowering or excessive amount of anything"..."to overpower, or overcome, especially with superior forces; destroy; crush." 

The excessive amount of information continually given by the hour was overwhelming indeed, but the second definition really struck me. To "overpower...destroy; crush." At times I felt like giving up, quitting. Life was not as fun as before, and the dark side of humanity rose to the surface. I felt crushed by it all. 

Satan's goal is to see us destroyed, and he will use any and all means available to do so. He'll even use social media; a virus; a "mask debate." He works his way in and sucks us down the wormhole of division and defeat. If everything I see or read or hear overwhelms me, if he can direct my focus on the mayhem and disruptions, he has the power to destroy me. 

So where is my focus? What am I allowing my eyes and mind to linger on and take in? If I continually look at the things of the world, I will be overwhelmed. God tells us to look to Him; to keep our eyes on Him.

I was reminded of an old hymn we used to sing when I was a child. (Don't you love how God brings things to our remembrance at just the right times?) These are the words: 

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace

O Soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There's light for a look at the Savior
And life more abundant and free

Through death into life everlasting
He passed and we follow Him there
O'er us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conquerors are we

His word shall not fail you, He promised
Believe Him and all will be well
Then go to a world that is dying
His perfect salvation to tell

O, Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
Oh, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace


What wonderful words of comfort! When we look to Jesus, the things of this world will dim and fade. If it's only darkness we see, He is the light that sets us free. And even in death, we are more than conquerors! We have everything to gain by looking to Him, and in doing so, we disarm Satan and his tactics. Feelings of defeat and inundation dissipate when we keep our eyes focused on Jesus. 

The definition of overwhelmed also means to be overpowered with "superior forces." It's easy to feel outnumbered and overcome by the dark forces at work in this world. Satan, his minions, and those under his influence are numerous to be sure, but in truth, God, His angels, and those following Him, greatly exceed any army of Satan's. 

In 2 Kings 6:8-17, the prophet Elisha continuously warned the king of Israel where the king of Aram would attack them next. These warnings saved Israel, but it angered the king of Aram. He sent his armies to find Elisha and surround his encampment, intent on capturing him. In the morning when Elisha and those with him awoke, His servant saw Aram's mass of soldiers, horses and chariots encircling them and panicked. How would they escape this overwhelming army? 

Elisha told his servant not to fear, for those who were with them were more than those against them. He prayed for his servant's eyes to be open to the spirit realm, and when they were, he saw the hillside filled with horses and chariots of fire. God's forces were present and far more abundant than the Arameans. As a result, the Aramean army was defeated while Elisha and the Israelites remained safe. 

At times, I wish my eyes could see the heavenly forces around me. If I could see the heavenly hosts fighting on my behalf, protecting me, shielding and guiding every footstep, how would it effect my life? Would I witness to others more passionately, pray more fervently, care for others more deeply? Would my fears vanish and the feeling of overwhelm dissipate? 

On rare occurrences God grants someone the ability to see beyond the veil of humanity into the spiritual, but they are by far the exception. The Bible tells us we walk by faith, not by sight. We must know our God and have faith in Him, without the use of our natural eyes. The story of Elisha builds our confidence and trust so that even in the midst of our own battle, even when things appear overwhelming, we have faith and know He is for us and with us. 

2 Corinthians 1:8-10 (NLT) tells us this: "8...We were crushed and overwhelmed beyond our ability to endure, and we thought we would never live through it. 9 In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely only on God, who raises the dead. 10 And he did rescue us from mortal danger, and he will rescue us again. We have placed our confidence in Him, and He will continue to rescue us." (Emphasis mine)

What an amazing passage! When I feel overwhelmed and crushed by the circumstances around me, when the troubles of this world are continually before my eyes, I must stop relying on myself--stop being self-sufficient, independent, trying to do it on my own--and rely on God alone. I can safely place my confidence and trust in Him knowing He has saved me in the past and He will save again.

In these days when the world feels like it could overwhelm and crush me under its weight, when I feel outnumbered in the battle, I will turn my eyes to focus more and more on Jesus. I will recall how God sent vast armies to protect His people and defeat their enemies. I will rely on the God I know and place my confidence in Him. If I am to be overwhelmed by anything, I want to be overwhelmed by Him and His love for me. 

How about you? Are you feeling overwhelmed by anything in the world? In your life? Turn to God and focus on Him. Be overwhelmed with His goodness and love towards you. He will never fail you. 


(Originally posted 8/28/20. Revised 7/28/22)

No comments:

Post a Comment